LGBTQ+ Tourism generates an impressive impact on travel economy, beyond its value for inclusion and respect of diversities.
Entitled “Next Generation EU: Tourism as trailblazer for Economic and Social Sustainable Development“, the First edition of Estates General of European LGBTQ+ Tourism was held held in April 2022 at Elfo Puccini Theatre in Milan. It focused on the state of art of this market in Europe, considering the European Union policy on sustainable and inclusive tourism and comparing the policies adopted by Public Tourist Boards as sample of EU Nations policies, in Works end with the realization of a shared manifesto, to be submitted to the International Convention of LGBTQ+ Tourism and addressing public/private institutions of EU countries.
The event was organized by AITGL – National Italian Board for LGBTQ+ Tourism, under the high Patronage of the European Parliament, of Milan Municipality, Confindustria Federturismo and IGLTA.
After the cut of the ribbon by the mayor of Milan – Bebbe Sala – and the institutional greetings of the AITGL’s President – Alessio Virgili, the director of regional department for Europe at UNWTO – Alessandra Priante, the ENIT President – Giorgio Palmucci, the Assolombarda attractiveness supply chain coordinator – Federico Chiarini and the Italian journalist, anchorman & science communicator – Alessandro Cecchi Paone, the first panel is started.
Entitled “The European Union on Sustainable Tourism: a social and economic focus. Presentation of the European shared Manifesto, addressing travel inclusivity and accessibility“, the panel was held by:
- Mario Furore – European Parliament representative of TRAN Commission and LGBTI Intergroup
- Marina Lalli – President of Confindustria Federturismo
- Ivana Jelinic – President of Fiavet
- Maria Carmela Colaiacovo – President of Confindustria Alberghi
- Martina Riva – Deputy Mayor for Tourism of Milan
- Magda Antonioli – Bocconi University and Vice President European Travel Commission
- Clark Massad – Vice President & Global Partnerships of IGLTA
- Tim Fairhurst – Secretary General di European Tourism Association (ETOA)
After a coffee break, the event continued with a discussion about “LGBTQ+ European Market: Destinations Case Histories” conducted by Marianna di Salle from Bocconi University and with a round table on European LGBTQ+ Tourism where European Tourism Boards and CVBs verified and monitored the positioning of Europe in the world, compared with other Western Countries. The second was held by:
- Maria Elena Rossi – Marketing Director of ENIT
- Kyriaki Boulasidou – Director of Greek Tourism Board in Italy
- Frederick Boutry – Gay & Lesbian Mktg Advisor of Brussels Tourism Board
- Ester Tamasi – Director of Visit Malta Tourism Board in Italy
- Isabel Garaña Corces – Director of Spain Tourism Board
- Eleni Sarikosta – Mktg Manager of Ionian Islands, Caldidian Peninsula & Central Macedonia
- Kalanit Goren – Director of Israel Tourism Board
- Elisabeth Ones – Director Tourism Innovation Norway Italy
The third and last panel was a discussion about “LGBTQ+ European Market: Diversity & Inclusion Protocol” conducted by Daniela Asaro, Head of Health & Well-Being Certification Strategic Center at RINA and Giovanna Ceccherini Sales Manager at Sonders&Beach.